Topics

Repeater Maintenance Window

GTGallop - N5MKH Arizona Admin

Was wondering about - for future enhancement - adding a maintenance window to the platform?  Repeater Owners / Custodians could log on and set a maintenance window if they know their repeater will be off line for a day to a month.

Example, Today is Sept 11 and I know I'm taking my repeater off line next weekend for 48 hours.
I enter the window today and it appends a note to the repeater and sends out a tweet.
Then when the weekend gets here, it updates the status on the repeater to On Air / Maintenance or maybe just Maintenance and sends a tweet
Then when that period expires or sooner if I log in and change it, the repeater status reverts back to On-Air and sends a tweet that the maintenance window has been complete and the repeater has returned to duty.

Maybe put some limits out there.
Maintenance can't be scheduled more than 60 days out.
Maintenance can't last longer than 30 days (if so the repeater is in testing or off air).

Thoughts?
Likes?
Dislikes?
Comments?

Tom Brew - Pennsylvania Admin

I think it is a great idea.   Security is the fact the registered user is verified by their log in.

Tom  K3WS

On Sep 11, 2018, at 9:05 AM, GTGallop - KG7NDC Arizona Admin via Groups.Io <Greg.Gallop@...> wrote:

[...]

Garrett Dow - Site Admin/Owner (KD6KPC)

Message received. I don’t have time to program it this weekend, but it wouldn’t take all that long to do.

There is a quick “on-air” “off-air” link available, but it doesn’t allow for a comment. I think I can leverage that to allow the user to add a quick comment at the same time.

Garrett

[...]

What a great idea.   Thank you for all you do to keep the system fresh.

Tom K3WS

On Sep 15, 2018, at 11:41 AM, Garrett Dow - Site Admin/Owner (KD6KPC) <garrettdow@...> wrote:

[...]

Exactly, Tom.  And in AZ, we have been trying to make as many people (that we can legitimately verify) custodians of their repeaters.
Repeater Owners (repeater has the same call sign) get 180 months or 15 years
If it's a club officer, they get 1 year
Trustee's or board of directors for clubs (kinda rare) get 5 years.

The chief complaint I hear about RepeaterBook is that it's not accurate.  But I find that while not perfect, it is far more accurate than any of the other resources out there.  The fact that it is crowd sourced data is both the strength and the down fall.  So to mitigate the downfall part, I like to get as many people involved and invested as possible.

So if someone has credentials on the RepeaterBook platform and has been validated by an admin as a custodian, then it makes sense to lay an increasing role on them to update their repeater.